Saturday, June 25, 2011

He Chastened them, Because he LOVETH them

This past week has been an interesting one. Ive been thinking about ALOT of stuff.. Just things that, at this moment, don't really matter. I've been wondering what I can do to be a better disciple of Christ.
Ever had a question or concern about something and when you receive the answer you feel as tho you are being chastised?
Oh goodness this is how I felt the other day.
Me and my missionary companion talked about this, this morning during companion study.
Why do we get chastised? Its funny how when other people are honest with us and tell us what we can to do be better we get upset, but when its God that does it we listen and follow His counsel.
In the Book of Mormon it talks about how the Lord chastised the people for not repenting. "...yea, the people of Nephi hath he loved, and also hath he chastened them; yea in the days of their iniquities hath he chastened them because he loveth them." Hel 15:3
He loves us, he wants us to be happy.
My parents yelled at me, when i did something wrong. All parents do, Why? because they love us.
I hate getting yelled at, I hate getting into trouble. But I know that when I feel as tho I am getting chastised, its because the Lord knows I need to wake-up and get my butt back into gear.
One of my fav verse in the Book of Mormon is in Ether 12:27,"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

So many things can be learned in this one verse, at least for me. I know the closer we come to God that we recognize our weaknesses more and more. Not going to lie, its hard I hate recognizing what I am doing wrong. But that's when I need to humble myself and ask the Lord to help me to be better.
I know that that is a life time process.. and we need not fear of recognizing our weaknesses. What a great blessing to see those and to be better and become more and more Christ-like. That is what we are here to do.
I love my Savior Jesus Christ. I am grateful that he does hear and answers our prayers.. I know He loves each and every one of us.
Remember who you are and what you stand for.

2 comments:

  1. (http://lds.org/general-conference/2011/04/as-many-as-i-love-i-rebuke-and-chasten?lang=eng&query=He+Chastened+them,+Because+he+LOVETH+them)
    I know it'a a long address to type in and link too, but it's an awesome talk given by an apostle of the Lord about this same principle. He talks about how the fact that we are chastened shows us that God loves us. He loves us enough to hurt us. He relates it to a bush being pruned in order to remain a bush like it is meant to be and not become a tree. God chastens us in order that we become what He wants us to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This concept has taken me some time to learn. I don't think I fully grasped it until I came on a mission and went through some of the trials that come with it. The refining process is always worth it!

    ReplyDelete