Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Do you have a willing Heart? Mind?

I've been thinking lately about, well alot of things.. I kinda can be a worrier from time to time.. Try not to be but it happens.
This morning I read a talk in the Ensign titled, "The HEART and a willing MIND" by Elder Donald L. Hallstrom. He talks about the heart being "symbolic of love and commitment." We can see that, in the world we celebrate Valentines Day, a day we express our LOVE to our loved ones. 
He says," We make sacrifices and bear burdens for those we love that we would not endure for any other reason. If love does not exist, our commitment wanes."  
He later says," having a willing mind connotes giving our best effort and finest thinking and seeking God's wisdom. It suggests that our most devoted lifetime study should be of things that are eternal in nature. It means that there must be an inextricable relationship between hearing the word of God and obeying it... We demonstrate a consecrated heart and mind by consistently following God's commandments no matter how difficult the circumstances."
He then gives 5 ways we can really sincerely seek to give our heart and mind to the Lord:
1-Gain and constantly nurture your own testimony- "..if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them..that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts. And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ he will manifest the truth of it unto you by the power of the Holy Ghost.
2-Honor priesthood ordinances and covenants- "When we live by covenant (promise) rather than by convenience, we direct our lives toward our heavenly home."
3-Root out duplicity-Do we act a certain way in public then act another way in private?
4-Continually study the doctrine-"When we know the commandments of God and 'liken all scriptures unto us' we will change the way we think and act."
5-Establish a life of service-"By serving others we emulate the ultimate act of service offered to each of us by the Redeemer of the world."
I learned alot from this talk, its important to have a willing heart and mind to the Lord. I know that when we do, we will be able to receive all the blessings he wants us to receive.
I know that when we submit ourselves to the Lord and His will, we shall see that everything else will fall into its place..
I know that God is literally our Father in Heaven, His son Jesus Christ is our brother, our Savior. I know He lives, this is His gospel. 
Remember who you are and what you stand for!

2 comments:

  1. I always feel like I could be giving so much more, but I have definitely learned the blessings of trying to give my all I have to the Lord since I've been on my mission. How can we begin to forget ourselves and fully submit to the Lord?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fully submitting to the Lord is hard. I struggle with it everyday. But I find that if you just get up and go do it, you will find your will becoming the Saviours. Instead of fighting God's will, do all you can to do God's will.

    ReplyDelete