Saturday, March 5, 2011

"Follow thou Me"

Today we were able to see a wonderful woman take that next step and follow Jesus Christ. Yup, she was baptized!
Earlier that morning I was reading in the Book of Mormon, I had left off the night before in 2 Nephi 30. So I started reading and read chapter 30 and 31. Chapter 31 talks about baptism, which was a little ironic because we had a baptism today. I read through each verse as carefully as I could. I feel like I should have this chapter memorized because I've read it so many times. I've come to like this chapter the more and more I read it.
The prophet Nephi explains in chapter 31 why Christ was baptized, and how important it is for us to be baptized. One of the GREATEST things about getting baptized, isn't just taking upon ourselves the name of Christ, but we also receive a wonderful gift! The gift of the Holy Ghost, or the Spirit to be a constant companion to us. To help lead and guide us through the rest of our lives as long as we live worthy of it. What an AMAZING gift our Father in Heaven has given us!
As I was reading however there was a question that Nephi asked that caught my attention. " And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the work of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighter to save." 2 Nephi 31:19
What an interesting question. Are we done once we enter the waters of baptism? Nope, life still goes on. We will still have trials and struggles, and that's why the atonement of Jesus Christ is so great. We are able to repent, and return to live with Him. In the next verse it says,"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." I love this last part.. "If ye shall press forward, and endure to the end...We shall have eternal life."
Just like in my last post, we are not perfect but we can be clean and I know that baptism is a way that we can be clean. We can be as clean as we were when we were first baptized as long as we repent and keep going forward following Christ.
I know that Christ lives and I know that we will one day return to live with our Father in Heaven again and we can be with our families forever.
Remember who you are and what you stand for!

No comments:

Post a Comment