Saturday, January 8, 2011

Remember, The Spirit is a Still Small Voice.

We were asked a question the other day by a recent convert of ours. "How do you recognize the spirit?" How do I explain this? Well, I read something in Preach My Gospel about the spirit. "That the spirit is quiet, a still small voice, a whisper and it can pierce the very soul (3 Nephi 11:3)."
Yes, scriptures help but I thought of a personal experience of mine.
Before coming on my mission I thought of somethings that I needed to do before I came out here. One particular thing I was very concerned about and to be honest was afraid of the answer. But, I needed to know what the Lord wanted me to do. No matter what the answer, I kneeled down, and I remember just pleading to the Lord of what I should do. I told Him I would do anything He wanted of me so that I could be prepared and ready to serve Him. After asking Him and just sitting there beside my bed pondering on this question, I had this feeling of this thing I needed to do. The next day, at work, I started having my doubts. I started asking myself, "is this something the Lord wants me to do? Did I really feel the spirit?" I believe we always have our doubts after we feel the spirit. Satan puts those doubts into our minds to make us think differently. He knows that we did indeed feel the spirit but he wants us to thing otherwise.
I took a minute to myself and asked Heavenly Father again if this was something that He wanted me to do. I can't really explain the feeling that I got, but it was just a calm peaceful feeling. The scriptures teach us that the Spirit gives feelings of peace and comfort. I thought about that moment I was beside my bed. I knew that the Lord told me what I needed to do. I did not know why but I told myself this is what I need to do. Later that night, I did what the Lord asked me to do. It was hard for me, because I didn't know why and later wondered if I made a mistake. I expressed to the Lord how I felt, that I was unsure about the decision I made. I felt that comfort feeling come over me and I knew everything would be OK. Now about a year later after this decision I realized that the Lord had something else in store for my life. I'm very grateful that I listened to that still small voice, I didn't know why at the time. Now, I do. (Doctrine and Covenants 9:8-9)
I invite you all to remember the feelings you have when you pray or read the scriptures. Pay attention to what the Lord is trying to tell you. I know that He speaks to us through the Spirit. "...Put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good."
Remember who you are and what you stand for!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy this post, because you speak so personally. I feel as though I can see the decision being made to follow, and I can see times in my own life when I too had to decide if I should follow the prompting or not. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete