Monday, January 10, 2011

Tree of Life: Part 1of 2

The beginning of the year I started reading the Book of Mormon again. I, of course, started reading from the beginning in 1 Nephi. I came to the part of Lehi's dream of "The Tree of Life."

Lehi explains to his family," I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy.... I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof... it was most sweet. As I partook of the fruit, it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it." (1 Nephi 8:10-13) Later Nephi says that the tree's "beauty was far beyond all beauty; and the whiteness thereof did exceed the whiteness of driven snow." (1 Nephi 11:8-9) The tree represents the love of God. 
Lehi desired for his family to come and partake of this fruit.

Then, he says, "I beheld a rod of iron and it extended along the bank of the river, and led to the tree by which I stood." (1 Nephi 8:19-20) The rod of iron represents the word of God. (1 Nephi 11:25) He saw many people holding to the iron rod making their way to the tree. (1 Nephi 8:21)

"There arose a mist of darkness; yea, even an exceedingly great mist of darkness, insomuch that they who had commenced in the path did lose their way, that they wandered off and were lost." (1 Nephi 8:23) "The mist of darkness is the temptations of the devil, and blinds the eyes of the children of men." (1 Nephi 12:17)

" I cast my eyes round about, and beheld, a great and spacious building... it was filled with people, both old and young, both male and female. They were mocking and pointing their fingers towards those who had come at and were partaking of the fruit." (1 Nephi 8:26-27) This great and spacious building was the pride of the world. (1 Nephi 11:36)

There are so many symbols in this vision that Lehi had. I've been reviewing this vision, and thinking alot about what it means.
We can see that the tree is the love of God. It was white and beautiful and desirable. This is how the love of God is, we feel His love for us and we want more and more of it. How do we get to the tree? The iron rod, the word of God, leads us to the tree. If we keep the commandments we will be able to feel His love for us and make our way back to live with Him again.
But, we have to hold on to the iron rod because there are so many obstacles that come our way. The mist of darkness!...........
Hold to the Iron Rod.!!

No comments:

Post a Comment