Thursday, November 4, 2010

Prayer


So prayer has been on my mind alot lately.. I just want to say that I KNOW that the Lord does hear us and does answer our prayers.
We had a mission conference this afternoon and something that was said really made me think a little more about prayer. "Consider all the prayers in your behalf. Recognize and be grateful for the prayers for you! Think about your prayers. We can make a difference with prayer."
What is prayer? Prayer is a sincere, heartfelt talk with our Heavenly Father. We pray to Him.
What a great blessing, to be able to talk to our Father in Heaven. We need to seek for His guidance daily. Pray for the guidance and strength to resist temptations. (3 Nephi 18:15)
One of the things that I love about prayer is that we can be anywhere and we can pray to Him anytime!
I remember having a discussion on how to pray in my seminary class. My teacher was telling us that we address Our Heavenly Father.... then we close in the name of Jesus Christ..(3 Nephi 18:19) But what do we pray for? That was the question that the teacher asked, there were alot of different responces like, our friends, family, food, guidance and express our gratitude. "Yes, those are all good things," she said, "but what about just telling Him about your day?" She challenged us to try it, to tell Our Father in Heaven about our day. Tell Him what happened, how we felt, what we did. She promised us that we would feel closer to Him. I felt weird at first, but I decided to take that challenge. I started talking to Him about my day, how it went what I felt, if it was a good day or a bad day. I started talking to my Heavenly Father.... like my Father. I expressed to him my feelings and now, I feel like I have a great relationship with Him. I find myself talking to Him ALL the time. I'll be driving down the road, or walking down the street and I find myself talking to Him. I look forward to kneeling down at night and telling Him about my day. I love what is says in the Bible Dictionary under "prayer" pg 752  
"As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part."
I know that He does hear us and does answer our prayers! I know that Our Father in Heaven wants to hear from all of His children! He does love us and I know that we can all feel of His love if we just turn to Him and trust Him.
So, I would like you to take this challenge as well. Talk to Him about your day, express your feelings to Him, tell Him what you did that day and how you felt. I promise that you will feel His love for you and that your relationship with Him will grow.
Remember,
who you are and what you stand for!

1 comment:

  1. I'm teaching someone who needed just this and I'm excited to share it with her. I know also know that while God loves us unconditionally, our relationship with him requires maintenance like any other relationship. Of course no one can say they have a relationship with someone that they never talk to or tell about the most important things in their life. Thank you Sister Gorder.

    ReplyDelete