Sunday, October 31, 2010

ReMeMbeR otheRs

"My brothers and sisters, we are surrounded by those in need of our attention, our encouragement, our support, our comfort, our kindness—be they family members, friends, acquaintances, or strangers. We are the Lord’s hands here upon the earth, with the mandate to serve and to lift His children. He is dependent upon each of us." -Pres. Thomas S. Monson
So lately I've had the oppertunity to do many acts of service. To be honest I don't think I've done so much service in my life!

I have many times asked myself, why is service so important? Pres. Spencer W. Kimball said,"God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs."
When we help other people we are helping the work of God. We are showing our love for them, and God's love for them. I notice that after I serve someone I feel so GOOD!! I just feel like I am the happiest person in the world.! I know that the people we serve can and will be able to feel Gods love for them through us. I know Pres. Kimball's statement to be true! That our needs are met through other people.

Think of ways people have served you and your family......
There have been alot of people who have been very good to my family and have served us in many different ways, but the only thing that really comes to my mind is my family.
My mom is a huge example to me when it comes to service. She never puts herself first, she always makes sure everyone else is taken care of.
I remember, ever since I was little my mom would write me little notes. When I was in school she would put them in my lunch, when I got older she would put them in my purse or on my mirror! Just fun notes to make me smile to let me know she was thinking of me.
My brother has always made me laugh! I remember him always being there to comfort me when I needed it.
My dad would always help me with my guitar and always made sure that I had the best strings, and he would put the strings on for me (cause I don't know how to do that yet).
My sister....hahaha.... she always was making sure I did the right thing. For example, she made sure I told my mom when I got a parking, or speeding ticket.
To some people, these things might seem small. But to me, it is my family showing me that they care and love me. I was never the best at serving my family. I thought, "they're family, they know I love them. I don't need to do anything for them."
It is important for us to show our love for them by serving them. Just like the Savior! He served everyone here on this earth! He taught His gospel, fed crowds of hungry people, healed the sick and raised the dead.
Christ washed the feet of His disciples. John 13:4-10
Back then, washing feet was a sign of honor, and was usually done by a servant.

Find oppertunities to serve! We are all blessed with special gifts and talents. We can use these to serve others.
I think of the movie "Patch Adams" with Robin Williams. He brings so much happiness to all the people in the hospital. He uses his talents to help make their dreams come true! You can just feel his love for the people he is serving when you watch it. For me, even though it is a movie, can just see the light of Christ shine through this character.

I know that we will be blessed for serving others, and that we can feel of God's love for us and His children. I now know the importance of service. "....When ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God."  -Mosiah 2:17
I am very grateful for my family back home, who showed their love and support by serving me! I'm sorry I didn't see or appreciate them before! I know that the Lord has opened my eyes to service, and is now my favorite thing to do.! Seeing others smile, is *pRiCelEsS* and look forward to seeing it on their face everytime! Thats what makes service worth it to me.. Is seeing how happy it makes others.
I thank my Heavenly Father for showing me this, and I want to express my love for Him. I do love Him and my Savior! I know that we are all His children and we need to help everyone in this world!
My dear brothers and sisters...
Remember,
who you are and what you stand for!

No comments:

Post a Comment