Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Remember, we all have "Challenging Times!"

I read a talk yesturday morning and this morning, that was really something that I needed. It was perfect for the way I have been feeling lately.
Yes, even though I am a missionary I still have my hard times. This past month I've just been stressing. I dont exactly know why, I'm just really trying to do my best as a missionary in serving the Lord.
I read this talk, "Finding Strength in Challenging Times!" by Elder Allan F. Packer. One thing that really stood out to me in this talk was when he talked about football and his experience in high school. He said, "We practiced until the skills became natural and automatic. During one play against our biggest rival, I had an experience that has helped me over the years. We were on defense. I knew my assigned opponent, and as the play unfolded, he moved to my right into the line of scrimmage. There was a lot of noise from players and fans. I reacted as the coach had taught us and followed my man into the line, not knowing if he had the ball. To my surprise, I felt the ball partially in my hands. I gave it a tug, but my opponent didn’t let go. As we tugged back and forth, amid all the noise I heard a voice yelling, “Packer, tackle him!” That was enough to bring me to my senses, so I dropped him on the spot.
I have wondered how I heard that voice above all the other noise. I had become acquainted with the voice of the coach during the practices, and I had learned to trust it. I knew that what he taught worked.
We need to be acquainted with the promptings of the Holy Ghost, and we need to practice and apply gospel teachings until they become natural and automatic. These promptings become the foundation of our testimonies. Then our testimonies will keep us happy and safe in troubled times."
How do we get to be acquainted with the promptings of the Spirit? I asked myself this question as I was reading it. There are several things we can do... 1 is to have the desire. "...He granteth unto men according to their desire..."  2 Study and learn, also to ponder. I feel like I have been doing alot of pondering lately and I find that those are the times when I find my answers in what I am pondering about. Its so important for all of us to be aquainted with the Spirit and to feel and understand when he is trying to help us, for it is the Lord speaks to us through the Holy Ghost.
I agree with what Elder Packer says at the end of his talk, "This is a great time to be alive! The Lord needs each of us. This is our day; it is our time!"
This is my time to serve Him here in California. Im so thankful for the Spirit to comfort me and guide me in the things that i need to do. I know that as long as I continue to study the scriptures and pray to my Father in Heaven I will come to be aquainted with the Spirit.
Remember who you are and what you stand for!




No comments:

Post a Comment